Outdoor Learning at Llanmiloe
Ysgol Llanmiloe is proud to be a Carmarthenshire Outdoor School.
What is an Outdoor School?
An Outdoor School teaches pupils to become fully engaged with, and confident in their local environment. Through regular visits to their local outdoor areas the children develop a strong sense of well-being and enjoy physical activity. They acquire a useful knowledge of ecology and sustainability, and develop communication skills by sharing this knowledge with others.
Objectives of an Outdoor School:
- To develop children’s sense of well-being through regular activities in their local environment.
- To ensure that children are confident and fully engaged with the outdoor environment.
- To develop children’s desire to be fit and active in the outdoors.
- To develop children’s knowledge of the ecology of their local area.
- To develop children’s knowledge and understanding of sustainability within the context of their local environment.
- To develop communication skills by sharing their knowledge with others.
Representatives of our Eco Committee were invited to Parc Y Scarlets in July 2019 to recieve our Carmarthenshire Outdoor School Award. This award was given in regognition of our work to develop the outdoor environment at Llanmiloe creating an active learning approach.
We now use our grounds effectively and the local environment to enhance curriculum experiences. The school's woodland area and garden are a wonderful resource for environmental studies and personal and social education.
We have been lucky to have a well developed woodland that is directly accessed from the school grounds as well as a developing conservation area and nature garden.